Wednesday, April 1, 2009

New Orleans is a weird place for a New Yorker

Exhibit A: People were nice to tourists

Do you see something missing from this elevator panel? No "close" button. I probably lost forty or fifty seconds -- possibly a whole minute -- of this trip not being able to tell the elevator, "Quick, don't let anyone else get on!"



The hotel staff was nice; random people in the elevator were nice; the cab drivers were nice.

Flash backs to BYU where everyone I passed was a dilemma: Should I smile? Nod? Say hello?


Exhibit B: Food and beverage museum

What do you buy in the gift shop, old food? I think this is just a clever way to lure people into your restaurant.




Side note:
At this event, we had an issue with students sneaking guys into their hotel rooms without asking their roommates. The day all this drama broke, I came back to my hotel room and discovered this:



My first thought: There's been a guy in my room!

But I think it was just the housekeeper.

I get spooked pretty easily when I'm staying alone. I sing a lot of "I Walk by Faith." In my hotel room, I put little post-it notes over the eyes of all the people in the paintings.


Exhibit C: The Art

Does this make you hungry?



This was the menu cover of the nicest restaurant we visited. Nothing says classy like a lobster pinching Cupid's toosh.

When this restaurant had lost our reservations, we ended up driving to four other places before we found a restaurant with less than an hour-and-a-half wait for a party of three.

At the Emeril restaurant, and I had this conversation with the hostess:

"What is your wait for a party of three?"

"Well, we don't take reservations and we don't have a wait list."

"So you could seat us now?"

"No, we're full until 10 p.m."

So how do you get seated? Do you have to be lucky enough to walk in right as a party of the same size walks out? Maybe you need a special invitation from Emeril.


Exhibit D: The food

I have never travelled anywhere so unhealthy.

Fresh fruit? No.

Fresh vegetables? Freshly smothered in butter.

Entrees? Fried. All of them.

Anything not fried? Yes, basted in lemon and butter. If a food isn't a New Orleans classic, it seems the only thing they know how to do with it is baste it in lemon butter.

Breakfast? French toast soaked in butter, not egg; grits, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs.

If my vegetable, egg-white omelet oozes a pool of butter, what's the point?



This is me eating a pork chop, red beans and rice. I would have killed for a salad, which is kind of ironic.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having fun....except for the the upset stomach all of that grease is going to give you. I laughed over the idea of your room paintings covered in post-it notes! Dan told me that it was like another world down there but I didn't believe him...sounds as if I owe him an apology.

    I've never had a burning desire to visit New Orleans and, from the sounds of it, I probably shouldn't. I'd come back fatter than ever.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't really put post-its on the eyes in the paintings, do you? If so, you're officially more paranoid than I. I love it.

    In third-world countries you NEVER eat the lettuce -- it's like drinking the water-- bad, bad, bad. And by all accounts, New Orleans is third-world, especially these days. So it is really the hand of God frying all your food, killing all the microbes in the hot fat so that you may survive to do good on the earth. I wonder what a deep-fried salad would taste like? Mmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete