Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Birdies to Bogies: Handicapping the Bridesmaids

Even though I wouldn't even consider purchasing a dress I was able to try on just because the size was wrong, I had no problem buying three dresses based completely on an online photo -- dresses I don't have to wear, of course.

This wasn't really selfish, was it? Bridesmaids don't want to endure the pins and measuring tape of a usually too-frank professional tailor to end up looking like prom warmed over?



While we do have plans to glam them up, I like that the dresses are simple. My bridesmaids are exceptionally smart and pretty; if the apparel handicap wasn't tipped in my favor, I wouldn't be able to hang on to my center-of-attention privileges, and then I'd have to do something drastic.

(Collette -- thanks for modelling. Mom -- thanks for the video.)

6 comments:

  1. Nice dress. Atleast its one that can be worn after....a real one that can be worn after not like in 27 dresses! Anyway I was having this crazy dream about your wedding last night and everyone was wearing purple sweater dresses and my sister from Georgia was there doing everyone's make up and hair and the guys were wearing black tuxes with red vests and I was like "eww that doesn't go with purple sweater dresses!!" so my question is what are your colors for your wedding!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the colors will make you say that, but the groom's men's ties might.

    The main color of our wedding is a deep chocolate brown.

    The reception is in brown and creme with a little gold, and all the flowers will be in purpley shades, from pink to blue.

    I'm really excited about this.

    The only problem with brown is the men. Most guys don't have brown suits, so they are inevitably going to clash with the bridesmaids. We didn't want to get them clashing brown ties, so we ended up getting tanish gold/maroon ties (a mix of both), which may look horrendous.

    If it does, don't tell me for a couple years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress! It's going to be a beautiful wedding..

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds very autumn-y and I'm sure it will be pretty! Anything has to be better than my pink and black colors where i wanted mostly black and my mom wanted mostly pink and since she was back home planning it all everything ended up being pink (but i'm not bitter......)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who has been a bridesmaid 10 times, simple is DEFINITELY the way to go. I really like the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I love minimalist bridesmaid dresses that are not made of satin and that have surplice bodices. And brown -- I love brown. Everything I own is brown. Today I was head-to-toe brown. Brown looks good on most people. And I love pink, blue, and purple with brown, so sounds like a lovely choice. Don't know what to tell you on the men's suits, though. Tricky!

    Collette is a beautiful bridesmaid!

    And I wish my dreams were as cool as Stefanie's.

    ReplyDelete