Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I'd take the ox cart

We get to Costco by taking two trains and then walking about a mile.

While walking the Costco aisles, glorying in the discounts and the free samples, the frugality went to our heads and we decided, Hey, let's save even more money by taking the subway back instead of a cab.

See the insanity!


We weren't even out of the parking lot when I had to hand off my heaviest bag to Yancy*. When we finally got home -- and we never would have made it if not buoyed up by Costco pizza -- we unloaded our gear and totaled how many pounds we carried.

All our bags. (It's more impressive in real life.)



Everything Yancy carried: Please notice the 10 lb bag of chicken, the 12 cans of black beans and the six over-sized cans of crushed tomatoes. He did not carry the knives or the toaster oven.




60 lbs, baby. Just look at those guns.



Everything I carried. Please notice, um ... the cereal? Sponges? Cooking spray?



It was heavy.

Yogurt is heavy.

*Please don't be ashamed of me, Amy.

9 comments:

  1. Not ashamed! I'm actually very impressed, especially since you didn't break out the M&Ms during your journey. You should be a frugality poster couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, go easy on yourself. Yancy has the unfair advantage of not having back issues...though his guns are quite intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the heady days of getting carried away, buying way too much canned goods and heavy stuff and then having to lug it home by hand.....of course some of us didn't have a hubby to hand it off to! Its no wonder my back is such a mess now....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peanut butter's heavy, too. Too bad you didn't have the presence of mind to eat your way out of this predicament. Why waste precious NYC apartment space storing food storage when you can just WEAR your food storage?

    I understand the obsession, though. At such moments I have actual visions of Grandma cheering me on from the other side, even as my back is giving out under the staggering weight of my frugality.

    Wait. That makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that aside to Amy! I laughed so hard and remembered the days of "pansy" girls/boys who wimped out on stuff. You should see me trying to carry in groceries while carrying Jack, I'm sure my neighbors think I'm a complete disaster. (I make several trips unfortunately)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Husbands as a solution for back problems -- this could be a breakthrough.

    Amy, I'm glad you focused on the positive, our cheapness, rather than my woosy-ness. I guess I should have expected that from the girl who only spent $100 her whole freshman year.

    I wish I could have repeated the phrase "staggering weight of my frugality" as I walked. Inspirational.

    I have often wondered, Erin, what I'll do grocery shopping here with a baby. Gone are the days of Saturday shopping with Marie. I'll have to wear a backpack for the food, or else go almost every day so I don't have much on any trip.

    Or just send Yancy, right? Problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am impressed by your commitment to Costco. I frequently whine about my 20 minute drive to the bulk-food mecca (with a mini-van, no less). I will certainly never complain about the hardships of Costco again, or at least not until the next time I'm massively pregnant and attempting to load an enormous case of water bottles into my cart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You buy bulk M&Ms? Yummy!!! Sounds like a fun story to tell your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire your strength in carrying everything for such a distance. I used to whine about having to carry my stuff to my truck in the back of the parking lot at. (Of course since my knee surgery I'm proud of myself when I can carry my own purse.)

    ReplyDelete