Monday, March 2, 2009

Recipe post: Yellow pepper sale

Yellow peppers were on sale, so Yancy and I had stuffed peppers last night for dinner.

I modified a recipe (below) for Grilled Black Bean and Rice-stuffed Peppers.

Delicious!

Notes:
  • I added ground turkey to Yancy's (plus extra seasoning) to make it more manly.

  • I am not sure how good this would be with a green pepper. Usually you stuff peppers with something juicy that marinades the pepper as it bakes. This recipe is not like that so your pepper needs to taste good as is.

  • I liked it better microwaved the next day because the pepper was a little softer and the flavors had combined more.

  • When we ate it for dinner, I wished I'd put some sharp cheddar on it.

  • The next day for lunch, I ate it with spinach. Made a yummy salad.

Recipe:
15 oz black beans, drained, rinsed
3/4 C cooked rice
1/4 C green onions, sliced (4 medium)
1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro
2 T lime juice
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp salt
3 large bell peppers
1 plum (Roma) tomato, diced
Cut the stem out of each pepper, creating a whole big enough to stuff the pepper through. Remove the seeds and inner cartilage. That's right, cartilage.

Completely immerse the peppers in boiling water for about three minutes. In a green or red pepper, the color will become brighter. Set aside.

Mix beans, rice, onions, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and salt.

Stuff mixture into peppers. I like to pack it in so each pepper is really full.

Place peppers upright in a baking dish. Cook for 1 hour at 350 degrees. They're done when a fork goes easily into the pepper.

Sprinkle with chopped tomatoes, and add cheese and additional cilantro, if wanted.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooo....this sounds good. I've never made stuffed peppers before, but I think it might be time to go for it. Peppers are on sale here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh. Do you think there is something wrong with the world's supply of peppers? Is there peanut butter in peppers? Did peppers support prop 8? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete