Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My GDP Is Declining

Yesterday, to cool off and encourage Baby Z to eat a
little solid food, we tried a baby prune-sicle.

I'm not sure if he actually swallowed any.
Two summers ago NPR aired a story that talked about how countries with low GDPs tend to be in hot places, while the more successful economies tend to be found in cooler climates. Years when a country's average summer temperature is high, GDPs tend to be lower than in other years.

I don't know about countries, but I can tell you this: My domestic productivity goes down when the temperature goes up.

Motivation to do things -- like writing a blog post every day for a week, for example -- melts away. All I want to do is lay in front of the fan and eat popsicles and ice cream sandwiches.

Yancy: If you want any homemade dinners this week, we better get the AC installed.

3 comments:

  1. When my sister-in-law, Kathy, lived in Phoenix, she told me that they had power outages from so much use during one hot summer she was doing daycare. She had to sit on the floor with a spray bottle misting and fanning kids! I guess until you get AC you could add a spray bottle to the fan time. I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you...I don't use my AC, but I do have the ability to use it if I want to. When you come to visit, I'll turn it on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm....prunecicles!

    I have no trouble believing there's a direct relationship between heat and lack of productivity. I'm more likely to go into hibernation in the hottest part of the summer than in the coldest part of the winter. Good luck getting the A/C in!

    ReplyDelete