Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Step One: Become a cliche (shudder)

I have contracted this attitude so prevalent in New York of desperately dreading anything cliche.

I blame it on tourists.

After a long day of heartlessly snipping cliches out of other people's writing (I don't care if it gives you voice!), I sometimes feel like would rather walk through East Harlem at midnight than be cliche.

And that is part of why I know I am in love with Yancy.

As of 11 p.m.-ish Tuesday, Aug. 12, when he put a ring on my finger, I have BECOME a walking, talking cliche.

The proof is in the pudding:

  • I can't stop spinning my ring.
  • Bridezilla briefly reared her ugly head when we shopped until we dropped for dresses.
  • When he's around, I'm happy as a clam.
  • Yesterday these words came out of my mouth: "Well, he needs a few more years to establish his career . . ."
  • I cook my man dinner over a hot stove almost every night.

4 comments:

  1. With this ironic tone, there's no way you'll become a bridezilla cliche. However, if I ever sense too much unadulterated earnestness in you, I'll be sure to sound the alarm.

    The ring is gorgeous. Utterly non-cliche.

    Post pictures of dress shopping.

    Now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased as punch that you started this blog. It just goes to show, don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today! It sounds like everything's coming up daisies for you two--you're like two peas in a pod!

    Love ya like a sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most weddings are certainly full of clichés, but thankfully marriage doesn't have to be.

    (Oh dear, that sounds a bit cliché, doesn't it?)

    Enjoy the euphoria that comes with being engaged.

    Once you're married will this blog turn into a couples blog cliché like unto the ones Shark detests so very much?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather -- I might do it just to spite Mark. Sort of seriouslysoblessed-esque.

    Marie -- Instant gratification is going to your head! How often do you post two days row?

    ReplyDelete