Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Great New York Tradition, Part 2

A while ago, I was waiting to meet a friend for a jog and noticed this beauty in the trash pile. I hauled it upstairs, riding the elevator up with the woman who nabbed that desk chair further down the street.



Here it is in my apartment. The shelves you see reflected in the mirror is the same set you saw Yancy carrying home for me in the previous post.



The mirror had seen better days. Yancy had to use bondo to repair dents in the frame, and then painstakingly applied a metallic gold paint over the worn areas.



But now, doesn't it look beautiful? It's our best dumpster find to date. What's yours?

6 comments:

  1. SUPER freaking awesome! I wish it was socially acceptable to dumpster dive here! :P
    Or at least, if people would just set out their valuables so I could riffle through them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! Roy and I used to drive around town at night during the end of semester because that's when everyone would throw away their things before graduation... we lived pretty cheap for awhile doing that! Well, until we realized most "free" couches have throw-up on the bottom of the cushions... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cute to see your little newly married apartment. I bet after you move away, you'll miss that apartment for the rest of your lives.

    The best thing/only thing we've taken from the dumpster is two ugly chairs. But we sit on them everyday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't recall a 'really great' find while dumpster diving…as I haven't done a ton of it, but you better believe that I'd have taken that beauty in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool find. There aren't typically good finds in the trash around here, although when we put our old hammock stand on the curb, it got taken away pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What makes it so great is that people do actually put decent things out, rather than saving them for a garage sale. A hammock would be a great find in Texas.

    I do admit to having serious reservations about taking anything upholstered. A friend brought home a red ikea Tullsta chair she found on the street, and I could never bring myself to sit on it. Cushions hide too much.

    ReplyDelete